Representing the Assembly
The Speaker’s representational role includes:
- acting as a spokesperson for the Assembly;
- receiving VIP visitors to Parliament Buildings, such as Heads of State, Ambassadors and senior political figures;
- attending events outside Parliament Buildings to promote the work of the Northern Ireland Assembly; and
- hosting events in the building to encourage people to visit Parliament Buildings, to meet with their elected representatives; and to get involved in the work of the Assembly.
- Examples of events hosted by the Speaker include an annual Pensioners' Parliament and a debate for young people to mark International Women's Day. The Speaker also sponsors school visits to Parliament Buildings.