Have your say on future plans to help the environment
The government department responsible for the environment is the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs, or ‘DAERA’. It says that we need a Northern Ireland Environment Strategy to improve our environment, create opportunities for business, improve people’s health, and help to protect our planet.
The Department has published a ‘discussion document’. It wants to hear what you think of its suggestions to improve our environment – before the 23 December at 5.00 pm. You can do this by telephone, email or by completing an online survey (see below for details).
The Department suggests 6 things we should be aiming for, but these are just ideas. No final plans will be made until the Department hears what people think, and until the Northern Ireland Executive is working again and there is a Minister in charge of DAERA.
The 6 suggestions are:
- We should reuse and recycle our resources as much as possible and produce zero waste;
- We should all be able to live in a healthy environment;
- We should reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and prepare for the impacts of climate change;
- We should stop the loss of wildlife and ensure our ecosystems are healthy, and our landscapes are properly looked after;
- Our economy should be run in a way that doesn’t damage the environment; and
- We should have excellent air and water quality, and good outdoor spaces which we can enjoy.
So, what do you think? Have you any other suggestions?
People can telephone, email or complete an online survey and all views will be considered, so don’t miss this opportunity to have your say on this important issue.
To find out more or to give your views, you can go the Department’s website.
Telephone: 028 9056 9497
Do the online survey: consultations.nidirect.gov.uk/daera-neq/esni/consultation/intro/.
Write to -
Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs
2nd Floor, Klondyke Building
Gasworks Business Park
Lower Ormeau Road,
Belfast BT7 2JA